This innovative curricular and study abroad initiative fosters a global collaborative economy and explores critical challenges from a local and an international perspective, finding common ground in the development of viable, sustainable and scalable solutions to these problems. The purpose is to foster a global dialogue of change makers and innovators, inviting them to think globally in order to act locally.
For more information, contact Rogelio Garcia-Contreras at RGarciaContreras@walton.uark.edu
Global Perspectives: Changemakers under COVID-19
Fall 2020 –BMEG 460V / SEVI 4103 –Global Perspectives: Changemakers under COVID-19
Now that our world is gradually but unequivocally experiencing the economic and social effects of the COVID-19 crisis, it is easy to feel overwhelmed by the urgent and vivid manifestation of some of the emerging problems.This course focuses on specific problems triggered or exacerbated by the crisis and connects participating students with a network of students, faculty, community partners, and mentors located in Bangalore, India, tackling similar problems in the context of their own circumstances. The course reflects on the interdependent nature of today’s world, where the well-being of one individual is intrinsically connected to the well-being of the entire ecosystem.
The intention is to:
- Connect entrepreneurial students from different parts of the world to understand each other’s challenges, resources, and socio-economic circumstances
- Encourage students to work together to design viable and sustainable solutions to some of these problems as they manifest in their local communities
- Engage students in an open source global dialogue of change makers and innovators
- Expand the social capital of our students at home, inviting them to collaborate in order to advance local solutions
- Promote empathy, solidarity, and transnational, multidisciplinary, multi-sector collaboration, making sure common problems are solved with common solutions
Global Changemakers: Study Abroad
Summer Intersession 2021 –WCOB 330V / INST 493V –Global Changemakers Study Abroad
This innovative study abroad initiative fosters a global collaborative economy and explores critical global challenges from both, a local and an international perspective, finding common ground in the development of viable, sustainable and scalable solutions to these problems. The purpose is to establish and facilitate a global dialogue of change makers. Combining academic and applied learning, thecourse teaches students to understand social or environmental problems as they appear both at home and abroad and invites them to innovate and develop viable, sustainable, and scalable solutions to some of these challenges. The first iteration of the Global Changemaker program is scheduled for the first summer intersession period of May 2021 in Barcelona, Spain.